Wednesday 13 February 2013

Suze Recipe...Scones!





A teatime favourite!
My friend Suze is an incredible baker...well that doesn't quite do her justice, she is quite an incredible person!  Anyway before I cause her much embarrassment let me tell you about her baking prowess.  Everything I have ever tasted that Suze makes is just mouth wateringly delicious.  Suze made me the most incredible chocolate cake for my birthday recently, it rendered me speechless, such was the scrumptiousness of it.  I am hoping to have the recipe for the chocolate cake (I am sure it must have a grander name than simply chocolate cake!) and I will share it with you as soon as I can. :) 

Just last week, Suze made yet another tantalising treat, beautiful, light and airy scones.  I cheekily asked her for the recipe so that I could try to recreate them here for you, together with photos!  I hope I've done the recipe justice! :)




You will need:


  •   225g self-raising flour
  •   80g butter (unsalted)
  •   1 tablespoon caster sugar (I used golden in mine)
  •   1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  •   handful of currants
  •   1 egg beaten with 5 teaspoons of milk (reserve a bit to    brush scone tops)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (although I did not put any in my scones...cutting down!)
Method:

1. Sieve together the flour and baking powder (and salt if using) into a large mixing bowl
2. Rub the butter into the flour (it helps to cut the butter up into small pieces) until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
3. Stir in the sugar until evenly distributed
4. Add the currants
5. Add about half of the egg/milk mixture to get the dough to bind together (I used a spoon but you can use your hands)
6. Add a little more liquid if not holding together, don't pour in all the liquid or it will be too sticky
7. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll to a depth of approx 1 inch, using a cutter, cut our your scones. The quantity will depend on the size of your cutter, I used a 2 1/2 inch cutter and got 11 scones from the mix
8. Put onto a greased/floured baking sheet, brush tops with the egg/milk liquid (careful not to let it drip down the sides of the scones as this can prevent from rising evenly)
9. Put in oven for 10-12 mins Fan 180 C (please use a reliable conversion for Gas or other)
10. Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack before eating, then cut open spread with butter, jam (and maybe cream if you're feeling particularly decadent) and enjoy!

As with most scones and cakes, these are best eaten as fresh as possible!  Thank you Suze :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment