How can something so simple be so delicious? This sauce is so versatile and can add naughty delectability to just about any dessert dish. You can even use to add a bit of something special to an everyday apple crumble, just spoon the sauce over the apple, then top with the crumble....Yum! I adore it on pancakes too, so will be making some today!
You will need:
- 55g butter (unsalted is best, but salted will give you the In Vogue Salted Caramel taste)
- 80ml double cream (you can try to go a bit healthier with this and use the lower fat varieties!)
- 110g dark brown soft sugar (the darer the sugar the darker the sauce, so if you prefer a lighter colour then use light brown sugar)
1. Put butter, cream and sugar into a pan over a medium heat
2. Stir constantly until mixture bubbles and sugar is dissolved
3. Drizzle over the dessert of your choice whilst still hot; or allow to cool slightly and pour into a jar with a good seal/lid, store in fridge until you need it.
When I make a batch of this sauce, I usually have it in the fridge for about 1 month, just taking out small amounts as and when required and heating in microwave in a small jug or/ramekin for about 15-20 seconds. I should also add that I always double up on the ingredients to make a larger quantity, which is maybe why it lasts me a month! It is superb with the pancake recipe :)