|The container on the left is 1 litre, and the container on the right is 800 ml|
4 medium eggs - separated
100g caster sugar (white or golden, but I use golden)
300 mls double cream - you can use the lower fat variety by Elmlea (Delight) for a healthier version ;)
The seeds from a vanilla pod
2 tablespoons of Baileys Liqueur
1. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form when whisk is removed (remember to first clean your bowl with fresh lemon juice to remove any traces of fat/grease)
2. Slowly whisk in the caster sugar, then continue to whisk until egg whites are stiff and glossy
3. Whisk cream and vanilla pod seeds in a separate bowl until soft peaks form when whisk is removed (it is crucial to overall consistency that the cream is not overbeaten, stop before the cream is too firm)
4. Fold the cream, egg yolks and Baileys Liqueur into meringue mixture until well combined (fold using a figure of 8 movement)
5. Pour into a plastic container*, put lid on container, and freeze. It will take at least 2 hours to fully set, but remember to stir it up, scraping in the frozen edges into the softer centre every 30 mins or so.
WARNING: you may not buy factory-made ice-cream again after making this!!
* as you can see from the top photo, I have filled a 1 litre container to the brim, and not quite filled to the brim an 800 ml container
|Creamy, smooth and very, very delicious Baileys & vanilla Ice Cream!|